I took Hannah to see the pediatric surgeon in Spokane yesterday and we are going to go ahead and do the surgery to fix her reflex. The procedure is called "Nissen fundoplication". the hope is that it will help stop her from refluxing and give her lungs the chance they need to get a bit stronger. There is always the chance that it will not change anything and we will just have to continue to deal with it all but the success rate is 80% it will work and for that, I am willing to try it. Hannah surgery is scheduled for January 7, 2011. a few days after we return from our winter vacation in eastern Idaho. We have a great surgeon and I feel confident that this will help her. we have chosen to wait until after the holidays because it is recommended that Hannah stick to a very soft diet the first month after the surgery, I do not want to sadden her holiday eating of goodies so we will fit it in before school starts for me. She will be at Providence Children's Hospital in Spokane Washington (formally know as sacred heart) for two or three days.
we are all very excited to be heading to Idaho Falls in just a few days. We hope we can see everyone that is in town and lives around there during our stay!!
A family of six. Life has a way of getting crazy sometimes but we always seem to hold together, get through it and be stronger for it!
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Happy Halloween.. a little late :)
| Some looked scarier than others this year... |
| here are our HUGE pumpkins.. they maxed out the poor scales at Winco, Hannah fit in the the last one on the left. Ownership from left to right; Micah, Hannah, Cassie, and Emy. |
| Micah cleaned out all of his pumpkin.. he designed the face and I carved it. |
| A beautiful princess.. |
| A little devil.. oh and she loved it! |
| Rosemary from the tinkerbell movie.. she went around telling everyone she was a fairy called "hannah-fairy" |
| Micah wanted to look scary.. I think he got it! |
Monday, November 8, 2010
results..
I am so Happy to tell everyone.. they were able to retrieve the data off the box!!! Hannah test came back and even with the medication they gave her during the procedure to calm her stomach the results came back mild to moderate reflex associated with registered pain. a small explanation: I had told Hannah about the box and explained what the buttons meant and when I need to push them. through the study Hannah kept pushing the button and I had to repeatedly get after for it. I put a note in the papers that i was recording on that she was doing this and apologized that it may show inconsistencies. It turns out that Hannah knew what she was doing and that when she pushed the button she was refluxing.
This shows that she is feeling it and is in some pain. with all of this and no sign of disease we are choosing to push through and get a referral for a pediatric surgeon to look at her case and see if surgery is a good idea. Hopefully a plan will be in place by the end of the year, we have an appointment as we head out of town just before Christmas to talk to Hannah's GI doctor. If surgery is needed or advised we will aim for the beginning of January before my classes start and after the holidays. Thank you to anyone that has been praying that we can get this data. I was horrified at the thought of putting her through this all again and had come to the conclusion that if they could not get the data I was going to hold off to test again until after cold and flu season, which is a rough time for Hannah regardless.
This shows that she is feeling it and is in some pain. with all of this and no sign of disease we are choosing to push through and get a referral for a pediatric surgeon to look at her case and see if surgery is a good idea. Hopefully a plan will be in place by the end of the year, we have an appointment as we head out of town just before Christmas to talk to Hannah's GI doctor. If surgery is needed or advised we will aim for the beginning of January before my classes start and after the holidays. Thank you to anyone that has been praying that we can get this data. I was horrified at the thought of putting her through this all again and had come to the conclusion that if they could not get the data I was going to hold off to test again until after cold and flu season, which is a rough time for Hannah regardless.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Update with Hannah
Hannah was a trooper through it all and we were able to get the scope and the PH study done. the scope came back that there was visable inflamation in the upper stomach but after taking samples she tested negitive for any diseases.. which I was counting on. The inflamation is thought to be from her throwing up and reflex problems at this point.
I just heard back from the doctor's office on the PH study and I am left frustrated. It appears there was a problem with the hardware that collected the data and they were not able to retrieve it. They have sent the hardware to the manufacture to see if they can retrieve the data. I hope that they can. I am not really feeling willing to do it all over again. while Hannah was off her meds to a month, in preparations for the test she aspiration at least three different times that cause her to get infections in her lungs and it sent her asthma all over the place. I am hopeful that one of two things happen. they are able to retrieve the data and we see what we have been dealing with for years or they decided we do not have to do the test again because she had so many problems off the medication that they are going to use that as proof. At this point I do not feel willing to put Hannah through all of that again... I pray it all works out. I am not a fan of picking on Children, especially when it is my own.
here is a picture of Hannah with the tube in and the box that was attached. she is in a better mood in this pic because she knows we are waiting for someone to come and take it out :)
I just heard back from the doctor's office on the PH study and I am left frustrated. It appears there was a problem with the hardware that collected the data and they were not able to retrieve it. They have sent the hardware to the manufacture to see if they can retrieve the data. I hope that they can. I am not really feeling willing to do it all over again. while Hannah was off her meds to a month, in preparations for the test she aspiration at least three different times that cause her to get infections in her lungs and it sent her asthma all over the place. I am hopeful that one of two things happen. they are able to retrieve the data and we see what we have been dealing with for years or they decided we do not have to do the test again because she had so many problems off the medication that they are going to use that as proof. At this point I do not feel willing to put Hannah through all of that again... I pray it all works out. I am not a fan of picking on Children, especially when it is my own.
here is a picture of Hannah with the tube in and the box that was attached. she is in a better mood in this pic because she knows we are waiting for someone to come and take it out :)
Friday, October 22, 2010
Pictures.. because I don't feel like saying much :)
| We went to our beautiful Arboretum and took some great photos. |
| Emeline was not into showing her teeth or smiling big.. |
| Cassie, gotta love those eyes! |
| Love this one |
| Hannah |
| Cassie |
| Our family |
| Micah |
| The guys |
| I like this one also.. still deciding which I like best |
| Kids were getting pretty intolerant at this point but we got a few more pic out of them.. |
| Just the two of us |
| my boy |
| best friends from birth.. |
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Hannah update
We went to Spokane today to meet with Hannah's Peds GI doctor. Hannah has been having issues with reflex and stomach for as long as I can remember and instead of getting better as she has gotten older it seems to be staying the same or even getting worse. We think it may be causing her repeated severe asthma attacks and bronchial spasms.
The GI doctor and I talked, he looked over Hannah and we came up with a plan. October 19th we will head up to Spokane at the crack of dawn, where Hannah will be checked into Children's medical center for two out patient procedures. the GI doctor will be scoping Hannah to make sure she does not have this specific illness and also to look at the wear and tear on her esophagus. The second procedure is a PH test. The doctor will run a probe on the end of a tube the size of s spaghetti noodle down Hannah's nose and place it at the base of her esophagus. This probe will have to stay in place for 24 hours so that the doctor can get a good idea about the severity of Hannah's reflex. While the probe is in place we can not leave Spokane and will be staying in a local hotel or with anyone nice enough to let us stay with them. The reason for staying in town is so that if Hannah pulls it out we can take her to the ER at Sacred Heart Medical and have it put back in place. hopefully Hannah leaves it alone and we do not have to do that. Worse case she will not leave it alone and she gets admitted to the hospital and arms get board-ed..so she leaves it alone. Needless to say we do not want this to happen and I pray Hannah will not care it is there. The results will determine the next steps we take to get Hannah back on a good, healthy road.
otherwise life is good and we are all adjusting to school. Hannah started preschool yesterday and although she was not interested in me leaving her, we are sure she is going to get situated and love going. The only worry at this point will be her overall health and well being. I am being open minded with the idea that she may not be ready for preschool and if that is the case we will figure out something else. Micah, Emy and Cassie are having a great time at school and my classes are well on their way. I will try hard to keep anyone that wants to know posted as we learn more.
The GI doctor and I talked, he looked over Hannah and we came up with a plan. October 19th we will head up to Spokane at the crack of dawn, where Hannah will be checked into Children's medical center for two out patient procedures. the GI doctor will be scoping Hannah to make sure she does not have this specific illness and also to look at the wear and tear on her esophagus. The second procedure is a PH test. The doctor will run a probe on the end of a tube the size of s spaghetti noodle down Hannah's nose and place it at the base of her esophagus. This probe will have to stay in place for 24 hours so that the doctor can get a good idea about the severity of Hannah's reflex. While the probe is in place we can not leave Spokane and will be staying in a local hotel or with anyone nice enough to let us stay with them. The reason for staying in town is so that if Hannah pulls it out we can take her to the ER at Sacred Heart Medical and have it put back in place. hopefully Hannah leaves it alone and we do not have to do that. Worse case she will not leave it alone and she gets admitted to the hospital and arms get board-ed..so she leaves it alone. Needless to say we do not want this to happen and I pray Hannah will not care it is there. The results will determine the next steps we take to get Hannah back on a good, healthy road.
otherwise life is good and we are all adjusting to school. Hannah started preschool yesterday and although she was not interested in me leaving her, we are sure she is going to get situated and love going. The only worry at this point will be her overall health and well being. I am being open minded with the idea that she may not be ready for preschool and if that is the case we will figure out something else. Micah, Emy and Cassie are having a great time at school and my classes are well on their way. I will try hard to keep anyone that wants to know posted as we learn more.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
